Once again, celebrities are gathering for the awards gala in LA. The styles are breath taking and so trendy.
What can we learn from the Sag Award Styles styles?
Braids and headbands are as HOT as ever. Check out these chic styles….
White “Hot” gowns were a big hit! Strapless silhouettes showing off your best assets in pale hues.
Elegance in black. Many stars used this classic look to light up the red carpet.
Hair is the ultimate accessory and I loved the softness of the waves with volume and style.
Even sleek ponytails are made long an elegant.
Try some of these styles at home and remember, life is not a dress rehearsal so walk down your own red carpet! =)
Since I started in this industry I always had a flair for wedding hair. I find brides to be, so confused on who to trust with their styling and how to wear their hair for that special day. I wanted to give some tips on what to look for when finding a stylist and how to figure out your perfect wedding hair do.
Let’s start with a stylist…..
- If you have a person that you trust with your hair, definitely ask them first or they can recommend a professional for you. I’m finding that since the industry is sometimes departmentalized, (Colorists, Haircutters, Extentionist etc.) brides seem to have a hard time finding bridal specialists. Ask other friends who recently got married or google “wedding hair” for your area. I recommend the knot.com because it can direct you to a professional stylist within miles of your choice.
- Your special day should be relaxing and enjoyable. You most likely will want your bridesmaids and family to be helpful and accessible for some of the organizing like when the flowers come, to answer phone calls and to help you get dressed. So think about if it would be easier to find a stylist that can come to you? Or would you rather go to the salon and enjoy the experience of feeling like a celebrity for the day? This will narrow down the search for the perfect person to do your hair style and makeup.
- Meet the stylist a few months prior to talk about your day and what they recommend for you. My personal opinion is to let the stylist work with your hair and see what style goes with your texture, length, headpiece and neckline. Keep in mind, just because it looks good in a picture doesn’t necessarily look good on everyone. A talented stylist will be able to “create” a similar look specifically made for your shape of face and profile. It is really important to feel comfortable to communicate with the stylist. This is your day and if you are feeling unsure or insecure with the makeup or hair, you need to speak up!
- People spend sooo much money on their headpiece and vail. Another thing to think about is, would you like to leave the vail on all night? Just think about Uncle John giving you a big hug for congratulations and your vail gets pulled down under his arm…ouch. I see it happen all the time…lol
- Ask your photographer what time they need you ready by. Being on time the day of the wedding is crucial and respectful. Take that time and calculate backwards an hour per person when figuring out how long your party needs to get styled. Makeup will be another hour so be considerate and plan ahead for this step. When the photographer says he needs you by 12, be prepared to step into your dress no later than 11:30.
Communication is key…
- Speaking from personal experience, I need to know a little about a bride’s personality before I can create her perfect style. Example, a person who has a soft, fairy like demeanor most likely won’t want a hard, slick, big up-do. Personal style is important in creating your unique look. Always bring pictures of what you like! I’m loving the website pinterest! It is so helpful to keep all areas of the wedding organized and to get great ideas.
I hope some of these tips can help you find what you are looking for and help make your day super special.
I want to wish all the brides much love, success and happiness =)
Contouring your face is super important when applying your makeup. Having that perfect cheek is as easy as 1-2-3.
Here are some tips from celebrity makeup artists on having the perfect cheeks.
- Use a darker shade in the hollow space of your cheek. I like to use a medium shadow brush with a little of my bronzer for this step. Finish using bronzer around your hairline and down your nose for a sun kissed glow.
- Brush a rosey shade blush right on the cheek bone. Choose a color that compliments your skin tone and makes you feel bright and healthy.
- Highlighters are great to accentuate. Tap some on the top of your cheekbone, inner and outer corners of your eye. This make you look awake and refreshed.
Viola…a sun kissed, rosey glow. Try this tip on the next girls night out. ;)
One fun trend that came out of the Golden Globes is headbands. From Charlize Theron to Michelle Williams, this accessary is a great way to dress up or style your look for any day.
How can you incorporate this trend into your style?
- Bohemian Chic ~ For a shabby, hippie look you can take a strappy band and place it around your forehead instead of your hairline. You can even make a thin braid with your hair and pin across your forehead. Viola…..instant chic..
- Scarves ~ Printed scarves are so soft and trendy for any cut with bangs. Just back comb the area right behind the bang to give some hight. Place the scarf on the part where the bang and the poof meet, tie in the back near your neck. So cute!
- Beaded or metallic ~ If you are the type that loves your long loose locks, place a shiney band about 3 inches back for the hairline. Pull some of the hair over to cover the sides of the band.
- Fabric ~ Part your hair on the side and place this band on the hairline. Pull some strands out to softly frame your face. Fabric flowers are a great way to pull in some color and add a fresh look to any outfit.
- Double strap ~ Tease the crown of your hair and slick the front back with a thin strappy band. This also can be use on your forehead for and fun boho look.
Wedding style ~ This will be a big trend for Brides this year. Thick crystal bands are an elegant accessary. Keep the rest of the jewelry subtle so the focus is on your head. This can be worn with many hairstyles so it is very versatile. Feathers create a soft, 40s style feel and is making headbands a great fashion statement.
Accessaries are great way to wear the trends. Be creative and show off your inner stylista! =)
You swore that you would stick to those resolutions but that pint of ice cream was calling your name? Join the club! On average, 40% of Americans fall off the resolution wagon about January 21st. How do you keep on track and follow thru with your goals?
Here are a few strategies that can help you stay on track….
- Try to pinpoint your goals ~ Instead of saying I want to lose weight, figure out an exact number that you would work towards like 10 or 15. Figure out a strategy like I will lose 10 pounds by going to the gym for an hour 4 days a week.
- Pros and cons ~ Whatever your goal is, write down a list of why you chose this as a resolution. If you chose lose weight, you can make a list of … have more stamina, lower cholesterol, lower stress…..if you don’t follow thru, the cons would be risk of health problems, can’t fit into jeans, etc.
- Set an incentive ~ Some days it will be really hard to stick to the goal but if there is a gift at the end of the week, it might make it s little easier. If I go to the gym 5 days this week, I will buy myself a new top or if I stick to the diet all week, I will have 1 slice of pizza on sunday.
- Grab a friend ~ Tell at least one friend what your goals are, maybe she has the same goal and you can do it together? Having a pal to go thru this journey with can help keep you motivated and more likely to succeed. Look online for programs, groups or blogs that offer support for what you need.
- Don’t throw in the towel ~ Mishaps are inevitable….forgive yourself for having a small piece of birthday cake but take away your reward. Never make an excuse to throw in the towel, it is just a hiccup in your master plan. People who reach their goals never lose sight of the finish line. Write down your goal somewhere you see it everyday and read it out load. Be proud of yourself and move forward.
Never give up on yourself and take it day by day. You deserve happiness, love and success =)
This style is easy, effortless and super sexy for a night out. It was all over the Golden Globes so I thought I would share some Stylist tips so you can do this at home.
- First prepare your hair with a shine oil and volumizing mousse so your ends are sculpted and not frizzy.
- Blow dry upside down and a little rough to accentuate the natural waves.
- Take a 1 – 1 1/2 barrel curling iron and just go around your head and touch up some of the strands that didn’t co operate.
- Start pulling back the strands and pull it to the side, and let the hair fall around the face.
- Twist into a messy bun and wrapping and pinning sections piece by piece.
- Use some hair spray to secure the loose pieces and throw in an old broach, pretty pin or even flowers. Having George as an accessary is a great idea too ;)
So many ways to wear this look so practice and be creative.
Take some pics and send them to me….I would love to see your work =)
What a wonderful night it was to watch the stunning styles of the actors and actresses from the Golden Globes. These award shows create trends and give a glimpse of style tips that will be copied by stylistas all over the world. Here are a few tips that I loved the most.
~Pony tails are elegant enough for the Red Carpet
~ Headbands are Retro and Chic
~ Blush tones are elegant and are a must for Spring
~ Fishtail gowns accentuate curves in all the right places
~ Red is red HOT on the Red Carpet
~ When in doubt wear something shiney
~ Power couples are so sexy
If this is a foreshadow of what Spring fashion is all about, we will all enjoy the fun and flirty sytles.
I’m looking forward to the fashion of 2012 and would love to hear what your opinion is? What was your favorite look or tip?
This is a question that confuses some but is natural for others. What exactly is Style?
The definition is: the manner of doing something, design or arrange in a particular way. Style is the way people perceive you, I like to say it’s your outer skin. Can style be good, bad or indifferent? Or is it a matter of taste?
Style is the way we express ourselves, its a reflection of our inner feelings and thoughts. Style is everything we do, what we say, what we look like…….what is your style?
People who are depressed, disorganized or unhappy with the way life has treated them, usually looks disheveled, messy and distraught…..they don’t have the energy to or care to show any style. (Am I lying?)
Let’s start the new year with a new outlook! Everyday, we will get dressed with conscious effort! When you are going to work, make sure you look professional and powerful. When you are getting ready to go to the park with the kids, look casual, comfortable but in control of the situation. When you are going to the grocery store, be comfortable but proud to be healthy and blessed to be alive and well.
Trust me, when you put yourself together, get your life organized and learn to strive to be the best you can be, your “Style” will shine and so will your life. I believe that your inner happiness is a style that is unique and separates you from the rest.
Life is choices, choose wisely!
Have a great weekend =)
I have been engulfed in the redecorating of my bedroom/office since the holidays and its almost done. Between painting and searching online for deals, I haven’t had much time to blog (sorry). Waves of ideas come to my head but I’m trying to keep it under a budget and easy to do.
Having this project was not only fun but it really feels good to be starting a new year with a different flare. My home is a cottage built in 1920 and has so much quaint style. What is your home style? Here is some of my inspirations and great ideas.
Brrr, winter seems to drag so long here in N.Y. I usually love to hibernate but my single self needs to go out every once in a while. At the salon, I see some beautiful winter hair trends that I thought I would share and give you stylistas some ideas.
*Sleek and Shiny ~ Shiny hair always looks healthy and young but add some slick gel or wax to amp up a retro look. Pull those shaggy layers back and show that gorgeous face of yours.
*Ponytails ~ are back with a vengeance! High, low or to the side….this easy to do style is very trendy and chic. Try backcombing the pony for some some extra fullness and bounce.
*Big Blow-outs ~ Big hair is creeping its way back to the top of trendy. I see so many young girls come in for a blow-out that will last for a few days. Waves and curls come out so great when someone else does it for you. Treat yourself when you have an event or night out.
*Sophisticated braids and twists ~ So soft and romantic, up-dos are not so simple anymore. Tousled and twisted hair makes your style and texture unique. The not so perfect look is in!
I hope this gets your creative juices flowing…. add some accessories like feathers, headbands or flowers.
These winter trends can make you feel glamorous and sexy, so try at least one this week. =)