What a fantastic night it was watching the 2012 Academy Awards. The glitz and the glamour are spectacular at those events and I love seeing the hottest trends. Beyond those form-fitted gowns and incredible jewels, the hairstyles were fresh and elegant.
I wanted to share my top 3 favorite hairstyles from the “Hottest Stars” on the Red Carpet and share some tips so you can try this at home.
Long and Loose waves~ I find that using a mousse or root lift before blowdrying creates the most volume. Back comb the crown for hight and your go to go.
Sleek and shiny ~ To get that look use a little pomade on your hands and gently slick down the tiny little hairs around the hairline.
Classic Style ~ Vintage looks always steal the show with softened finger waves and textured braids. Be creative and have some fun. Throw in a flower or headband for your own look.
In the winter months, the biggest question I get all week is…
Why do I have so much Static?
During the winter months, everything tends to get dry due to being in a heated environment. Dry heat dehydrates the air and everything lacks moisture. There are several remedies that answer the question of..
How to stop the Static?
- Start with taking a supplement. I always recommend moisturizing from the inside out and take a daily dose of Omega 3,6 and 9. Not only does it help your heart and bones, it helps keep away dry flakey legs and skin.
- Moisture shampoo is a great quick fix for brittle hair. It’s a great idea to switch shampoos every other time you wash and watch your volume shampoos. Sometimes they have a stripping agent to give you the most volume but it will steal your moisture thru out your hair.
- Dryer sheets can be used to calm the fuzz in a quick minute. Take a sheet and just run it over your head. Keep one handy to help with wardrobe static and in the summer it also keeps mosquitos away.
- Since we are lacking moisture, change your conditioner! I’m not a fan of over the counter products, (anything you can get at the grocery store) they are filled with chemicals that can create more dryness (which doesn’t make sense in a conditioner.) Use one that says “Ultra-hydrating, or Intensive”. It really does make a difference if you use a quality product and you can get so much more for your money by using a tip that I do at home. Take an extra bottle and dilute the thick, intensive conditioner with warm water to make a creamy consistency. It helps to moisturize but won’t weigh your hair down and you get double the amount for your dollar.
- Spray some static guard on your brush. If you use a plastic brush, you will probably have more static then a bristle brush.
- Dry hands usually come along with static so after using some hand creme, rub the excess on your locks. This will help bring the shine back and help control the fly aways.
- When dryness is thru out your home, set up a humidifier. This can really counter act the dryness and create balance with the atmosphere. Your plants will love you for it. =)
Once again, celebrities are gathering for the awards gala in LA. The styles are breath taking and so trendy.
What can we learn from the Sag Award Styles styles?
Braids and headbands are as HOT as ever. Check out these chic styles….
White “Hot” gowns were a big hit! Strapless silhouettes showing off your best assets in pale hues.
Elegance in black. Many stars used this classic look to light up the red carpet.
Hair is the ultimate accessory and I loved the softness of the waves with volume and style.
Even sleek ponytails are made long an elegant.
Try some of these styles at home and remember, life is not a dress rehearsal so walk down your own red carpet! =)
You swore that you would stick to those resolutions but that pint of ice cream was calling your name? Join the club! On average, 40% of Americans fall off the resolution wagon about January 21st. How do you keep on track and follow thru with your goals?
Here are a few strategies that can help you stay on track….
- Try to pinpoint your goals ~ Instead of saying I want to lose weight, figure out an exact number that you would work towards like 10 or 15. Figure out a strategy like I will lose 10 pounds by going to the gym for an hour 4 days a week.
- Pros and cons ~ Whatever your goal is, write down a list of why you chose this as a resolution. If you chose lose weight, you can make a list of … have more stamina, lower cholesterol, lower stress…..if you don’t follow thru, the cons would be risk of health problems, can’t fit into jeans, etc.
- Set an incentive ~ Some days it will be really hard to stick to the goal but if there is a gift at the end of the week, it might make it s little easier. If I go to the gym 5 days this week, I will buy myself a new top or if I stick to the diet all week, I will have 1 slice of pizza on sunday.
- Grab a friend ~ Tell at least one friend what your goals are, maybe she has the same goal and you can do it together? Having a pal to go thru this journey with can help keep you motivated and more likely to succeed. Look online for programs, groups or blogs that offer support for what you need.
- Don’t throw in the towel ~ Mishaps are inevitable….forgive yourself for having a small piece of birthday cake but take away your reward. Never make an excuse to throw in the towel, it is just a hiccup in your master plan. People who reach their goals never lose sight of the finish line. Write down your goal somewhere you see it everyday and read it out load. Be proud of yourself and move forward.
Never give up on yourself and take it day by day. You deserve happiness, love and success =)
What a wonderful night it was to watch the stunning styles of the actors and actresses from the Golden Globes. These award shows create trends and give a glimpse of style tips that will be copied by stylistas all over the world. Here are a few tips that I loved the most.
~Pony tails are elegant enough for the Red Carpet
~ Headbands are Retro and Chic
~ Blush tones are elegant and are a must for Spring
~ Fishtail gowns accentuate curves in all the right places
~ Red is red HOT on the Red Carpet
~ When in doubt wear something shiney
~ Power couples are so sexy
If this is a foreshadow of what Spring fashion is all about, we will all enjoy the fun and flirty sytles.
I’m looking forward to the fashion of 2012 and would love to hear what your opinion is? What was your favorite look or tip?
Whew, the holidays are over, the decorations are put away, and I have reflected on life more than enough! Let’s move on and up into the fresh new year of 2012.
So, why do so many people get the winter blues and fall into depression when january hits? Besides lack of vitamin B from the sun, studies show that 20% of the population suffer from seasonal depression. This can cause weight gain, need for more sleep, crave carbohydrates, decreased energy and fatigue.
I have a few things that help me sprint thru hibernation mode and help me jump into spring.
- Start a project ~ Whether it’s redecorating a room in my house or taking a business course on line, I try to pick something that needs to be done. Not being able to go out of the house to accomplish this project is the key. Think of something that you’ve been wanting to do but keep putting it off ….now is the time to get it done.
- Breaking a sweat ~ Studies show that people who exercise not only feel better but they live a happier life. Try to do 30 minutes a day of some kind of cardio to keep the immune system up and your hormones level. Buy yourself a DVD so there are no excuses if you can’t go to the gym.
- Set a goal ~ I like to reward myself for accomplishing things. Pick something that challenges you and set out to finish. It could be training for a marathon, or joining a salsa dance class. Put your mind to the finish line and pick what you feel is a worthwhile reward.
- Make a plan ~ How bout a vacation or movie night with the girls every Saturday….make a plan for something to look forward to. When you plan ahead, you create excitement and gives you something fun to look towards.
- Wear colors of the Caribbean ~ I tend to always wear black in the salon but if you throw in a tangerine lipstick or a turquoise blouse….its like an instant mood lift. Bright colors can brighten your skin tone and boost your mood. Nail polish is an easy fix, put some brights on those toes and feel like you are on the beach.
- Call for appointments ~ In theses dreary months of winter, I like to do all my doctors and dentist appoinments. This can free up your time in the spring and summer so you can focus on fun on your time off.
Just remember, time goes by so fast….don’t waste your time being blue. A smile a day keeps the doctor away…=)
The month of December went so fast that you forgot to plan that get together for New Year’s eve! I prepared a quick guide to a great Bash that won’t make you crazy.
- Set the time for late….this gives you more time to get things done.
- Give friends a call or post on Facebook….get the word out there before your friends make other plans.
- Get decorations….Balloons, streamers, hats and noise makers. I love anything that glows like night sticks or funky champagne glasses. Re-use the christmas balls in glass towers or canisters, even use the lights to line the room for a festive feel.
- Ask for help….don’t be shy to ask everyone to bring something. Whether its a dish or a bottle of wine, most people don’t mind to share the burden.
- Set the mood…. light some candles and dim the lights. Choose the right music that make or break your party ambiance.
- Serve some finger foods….little pigs in the blanket, potato knish, or spinach rolls. Keep the menu easy to eat and snacky. You want people to pick all night. Have paper plates and plastic cups handy for easy clean up.
- Create a signature cocktail….Make a quick punch that everyone can fend for themselves. Keep some top shelf liquor on hand for toasts and shots.
- After the ball drops….I usually love champagne and strawberries so I have a fresh fruit tray handy. Another good idea is to have bagels, muffins or morning pastry to hand out as a party favor. Trust me, if your rowdy guests don’t have to make breakfast the next day, you will be the Rock Star!
- Look Fantastic and have fun! This is the time to reflect on the past and move forward with your future. Smile and feel the excitement of new beginnings and new treasures.
Don’t let them fool ya, men do like a little romance and seduction once in a while. Behind every strong man is a more powerful woman and we do have the power to turn the heat up a little this winter. Here are sexy gift ideas that don’t cost much for your sweety to help sizzle your holiday season.
- Cook him his favorite dinner ~ Yes, it is the way to a man’s heart and also always appreciated. Dim the lights, send the kids to their friends house and add some candles. Enjoy the quiet and ambiance of being together with great conversation and maybe a bottle of wine. A wine bottle opener, decanter, or a pocket flask are great gifts if your man is a connoisseur.
- Shaving kit ~ This is so old world but I love the sexiness of it. It is so hot if you can give him the shave but if thats not your thing, a pocket watch or wallet chain would be a great gift and fit in this classic style.
- Playtime vouchers ~ Be creative with this one. Make your own gift certificate for something that he would totally love. Is it a free sunday to play golf with the boys or a coupon for a foot massage. This can be fun or dangerous, but make it something that you will want to honor.
- Bubble bath ~ This is the most understated gift. Fill a basket with some massage oils, or bath beads with a romantic CD and even a new robe and a bottle of bubbly. Make him know that this warm sexy night of wet playtime is at his dispose and he will light up with excitement.
Watch how much fun you will have when you give these gifts that make him know how special you are. In the long run, you will benefit and look like the best partner in the world. When all else fails, go with anything electronic or Apple. lol.
They are only human. ;)
Warm up your sexy self with these quick tips to help you transform your look from “Sweet to Hot.”
- Show a lil lace ~ It’s ok to show a pretty lace cami under a jacket or dress without looking trashy. Keeping it tasteful is the key to sexy.
- Add a broche or pin ~ By strategically placing a pin in the deep V neck of a dress, you can draw the eye down to what ever spot you like. This can drastically change a boring black dress to “Hey, hot mama”
- Wear the right under garments ~ Not only will you feel more secure with the proper panties but the outfit will look better too. This allows you to control your curves but accentuate your assets.
- A little sheer ~ You can also pull off this look if the right lingerie is there. Remember, leaving something for the imagination is the sexy factor. Don’t over do this, and it looks ‘Smokin Hot!’
- Try textured tights or leggings ~ Fabrics like wool or even leather look ultra hot under a dress or with boots. You can even play with bright colors to spice up your winter wardrobe.
- Dab a drip of perfume ~ Behind your ear or on your wrist, put some in a spot you want someone to get close to. Even down there, (behind your knee, wink wink) can be a hot spot that just knowing your lil secret, you will exude sexy.
Sexy is a state of mind so do what makes you feel good, beautiful and confident. I always say, “Life is too short so shake what ya mama gave ya!”