Spring has sprung and the flowers are blooming! It’s time for open toe shoes and flowing silhouettes….so what’s in style for
Thanks to fashion week here in NYC, I have the first look on the newest trends and styles for the season to come. This year one of the biggest trends for clothing is bold colors. Color blocking, Prints and Metallics are a must have for clothing and leads the way for hair to help compliment the look.
- Sun kissed lites are a soft way to ease into the warmer weather. By putting a few, thin, strands of golden apricot or beachy beige, can make you look brighter and add depth to any color. Think JLo…
- Ombre is still a smokin hot look this season. I have seen blondes do pastel ends, brunettes do hot vibrant reds and even red heads do auburn ends. The sky is the limit for this trend, but I don’t advise to do this at home. Have a pro do it and can last you till the fall.
- Shiny, rich solid colors look healthy and fresh. By getting a glaze or gloss in the salon, can help camouflage your dry ends and adds a deep metallic shimmer.
- Soft curls and volume bring a new feel to the same ole’ haircut. Pull out those rollers or curling iron and add some movement. Sweep it to the side for a romantic feel accompanied by a flowing floral maxi….that’s a great spring look!
- Throw it up in a braid, headband or up-do. Tis the season to show off that beautiful face of yours….even add a flower clip.
There you have it….a few cool ideas to help you feel fresh for a great season ahead…Enjoy =)
If you love JLo, then you can’t forget that white dress from the Oscars. She slipped out at the after party and rocked a deep, dark sequin gown but what everyone was talking about (beside the wardrobe malfunction) was the Hair!
How to recreate JLo’s hairdo in 3 easy steps
- Brush all your hair into a very high pony tail. Let it sit right on the top of your crown, nice and tight. Use alittle pomade or shine cream to get that slick, shiny base.
- Separate the ponytail into 4 sections. Tease each piece for extra volume because the bun needs to be full. Smooth with the side of your comb without ruining the tease.
- Take a section and roll it out towards your face. Tuck those ends under and pin. Take the next section and do the same but try to connect to the two seamlessly. Use some hairpins and large bobby pins to secure and some good hairspray to hold.
Waalaa….This is great look for medium to long hair. Having a dramatic hairdo like this can dress up any outfit. Practice and enjoy =)
Hot off the 2012 runway, the hot trend for Spring hair is pastels and dye-dipped. Yet this trend is not for everyone, it is a great idea for Barbie Blondes. This is such a fun and creative way to express yourself and show some personality.
Ways to do Pastel and Dye-dipped color
Chalking ~ an eco-friendly way to color streaks in pre-lightened hair. All chalk can work but Rembrandt brand pastels are a little like a crayon and the colors are more vibrant. Strategically pull a strand of hair and wet it with a water bottle. Hold the strand tight, while rubbing the chalk on the hair, massage it in with your fingers so it distributes evenly. Try a few colors so its colorful and bright. Carefully dry hair with your dryer or a warm iron.
Oil based Pastels ~ thicker consistency and more pigments, this is similar to chalking. Apply the same way and make sure you saturate the strands. This will most likely work on darker hair.
Kool aid ~ safe for kids and smells delicious! lol. I did this once to my white pomeranian and it washed out within a few washings. Mix a little color with a glass of hot water until the crystals are dissolved. Dip the tips of selected strands or just the ends of your whole ponytail in the liquid but be careful it doesn’t touch the rest of your hair. You can put it in a foil so it is separate from the rest. Don’t rinse, just dry it very carefully.
Manic Panic ~ a semi-permanent color stain made for pre-lightened hair. These colors are great and vibrant but wash out in a few weeks. It is great to use if you want Katie Perry’s blue locks or Kelly Osborne’s silver coiffure. Pick your color and dilute to your desired pastel. I like diluting it in a bowl with lots of conditioner until the color is exactly what I want. Run thru with a comb so you get it real even but don’t put it on roots (this really stains your skin so always wear gloves and cover yourself with a towel)
After you did the tips in one color and dried them, you can re-dip in another color for a rainbow Ombre effect. This is beautiful when used in colors that compliment each other like pink and purple, or blue and turquoise.
Have fun and don’t worry…these colors wash out and you will be back to what you had before. Be creative and use your imagination. =)
One fun trend that came out of the Golden Globes is headbands. From Charlize Theron to Michelle Williams, this accessary is a great way to dress up or style your look for any day.
How can you incorporate this trend into your style?
- Bohemian Chic ~ For a shabby, hippie look you can take a strappy band and place it around your forehead instead of your hairline. You can even make a thin braid with your hair and pin across your forehead. Viola…..instant chic..
- Scarves ~ Printed scarves are so soft and trendy for any cut with bangs. Just back comb the area right behind the bang to give some hight. Place the scarf on the part where the bang and the poof meet, tie in the back near your neck. So cute!
- Beaded or metallic ~ If you are the type that loves your long loose locks, place a shiney band about 3 inches back for the hairline. Pull some of the hair over to cover the sides of the band.
- Fabric ~ Part your hair on the side and place this band on the hairline. Pull some strands out to softly frame your face. Fabric flowers are a great way to pull in some color and add a fresh look to any outfit.
- Double strap ~ Tease the crown of your hair and slick the front back with a thin strappy band. This also can be use on your forehead for and fun boho look.
Wedding style ~ This will be a big trend for Brides this year. Thick crystal bands are an elegant accessary. Keep the rest of the jewelry subtle so the focus is on your head. This can be worn with many hairstyles so it is very versatile. Feathers create a soft, 40s style feel and is making headbands a great fashion statement.
Accessaries are great way to wear the trends. Be creative and show off your inner stylista! =)
Brrr, winter seems to drag so long here in N.Y. I usually love to hibernate but my single self needs to go out every once in a while. At the salon, I see some beautiful winter hair trends that I thought I would share and give you stylistas some ideas.
*Sleek and Shiny ~ Shiny hair always looks healthy and young but add some slick gel or wax to amp up a retro look. Pull those shaggy layers back and show that gorgeous face of yours.
*Ponytails ~ are back with a vengeance! High, low or to the side….this easy to do style is very trendy and chic. Try backcombing the pony for some some extra fullness and bounce.
*Big Blow-outs ~ Big hair is creeping its way back to the top of trendy. I see so many young girls come in for a blow-out that will last for a few days. Waves and curls come out so great when someone else does it for you. Treat yourself when you have an event or night out.
*Sophisticated braids and twists ~ So soft and romantic, up-dos are not so simple anymore. Tousled and twisted hair makes your style and texture unique. The not so perfect look is in!
I hope this gets your creative juices flowing…. add some accessories like feathers, headbands or flowers.
These winter trends can make you feel glamorous and sexy, so try at least one this week. =)
Braids are not for just kids anymore. You see them all over now, from the Grammys, to weddings, from the red carpet to the beach. Dress them up or down, this trend is hot and super easy.
Here are a few gorgeous ideas for styles with braids. Enjoy!
A hot trend that I see all over the place is the one armed tops and dresses. I personally love them and think they are a pretty feminine look for most. Here are some cute styles that I stumbled across.
Do you have too many parties and not enough to wear?
Here are some great ideas to switch up the look of your favorite lil black dress…
- Add a little jacket, bolero or a shrug ~ This is a great idea for strapless dresses on a chilly night. Keeping the color closest to the dress makes it look like it belongs there.
- Try boho chic ~ Layer some necklaces and wear high boots. This creates an “easy like sunday morning” feel. Great for a casual party or dinner date.
- Go glam ~ Sexy up-do, crystal earrings, and some ‘hot shoes’, can make a plain ensemble into Smoking Hot!
- Wear booties ~ If you can pull it off, booties give a refreshing spin to dresses. Add a leather jacket and this fresh look can be worn on a fun night out.
- Color accents ~ Try adding a red bag or wear shoes in a bright blue, pick one area of interest and pop in some color. Try a red lipstick or a nude shoe for a little dramatic look.
- Belt it up ~ This can easily create shape and make you look 5lbs thinner. (Yay, I love belts)
Try any of theses tricks with the same `ole black dress and fool your friends into thinking that you are a shopaholic.
Have fun and enjoy! =)
Tis the season to Partay, Partay, Partay! How many times are you running out of the office to make it for the open bar hour at a holiday party? Here are some great tips to get yourself glammed up in 5 minutes and look like you spent the day at the salon.
- Darken the color on your face. Adding some dark shadows and lipstick give an instant evening look. Cat eye liner is another cool idea but it takes some practice. A few swipes of a bronzer all over (including in your cleavage, wink wink) will give you a golden, sun kissed glow.
- Throw on something sparkly!! Sequins and glitter are always very glamorous. Faux fur is another way to transform a day look to rock star party style.
- Put on those heels. A great shoe dresses up any outfit. If you are uncomfortable in shoes, shop for a pair with a platform in the front….it makes the heel look higher without killing your arch.
- Do something different with your hair. Put a little perfume on your brush and brush your hair up-side down. This will give you some volume, help you look fresh and smelling sweet. Curls and loose waves are a lux look but if you are pressed for time, try a headband or messy braid. Look for an accessary with beads or feathers for a trendy feel. Even pulling your hair to the side can change your look in seconds.
- Rhinestone earrings are so evening glam! Pretty accessaries can make even a frumpy outfit look shiny and new.
Most important accessary is your smile! Walk into that party knowing that you look fabulous and you will shine!
Have fun and be safe =)